Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October is leaving me speechless

I am very rarely at a loss for words. Just ask my husband, my father, my dear in-laws, my children, my friends. I want you all to know that I have not been neglecting this blog. I literally have not found words profound enough to express what I have been feeling over the last couple of months.  We start preparing for October months in advance so I have been in the zone for a while.


October is an especially busy (understatement of the year) for Michelle's Place and we do remind everyone that every month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month for us. Due to marketing and the pink revolution, we will never win the battle to even out the activities across the months so our staff, board and volunteers dive in head first and do not come up for air until the beginning of the fourth week of October. I am so proud to be associated with these people...their passion, support and dedication is beyond measure.

Today our Executive Director, Kim Goodnough, published her weekly message in the Michelle's Place weekly e-newsletter and I finally became inspired. Not inspired enough to write my own words, but inspired to share hers. Without further ado, here is a message from our Executive Director:


It is so important that we are reminded of the work MP does and how much it means to so many.  I am so proud to be part of this team.  When I was walking in the event yesterday (Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure) I felt emotionally overwhelmed a little as I looked around.  I think everyone feels that way when they participate in that event.  But, for me it was a little different this year.  It was a very introspective day. This is my 11th year.  It's so cool to see so many "Team Michelle's Place" shirts everywhere.  We started the walk with Paul who lost his wife this year and he comes to MP to feel part of her and share with us their love story, and as we crossed the starting line the announcer yelled out "GO team Michelle's Place, we love Michelle's Place", my heart swelled with pride.  And as I read all the names of those lost, loved and remembered on the backs of participants, I thought, we lost 4 women this week at MP.  And then, as we neared the finish line (we cheated) part of the Hawks soccer team ran past us in their pink socks that they sold to raise funds for Michelle's Place.  So MANY people are part of this amazing journey.  All of us, each one of us, makes an impact.  We are a support system for those who have lost loved ones, direction for those recently diagnosed, we provide hope and inspiration for young people and we carry on a legacy that I think Michelle would be proud of.  Thank you all for what you do.  It is awe-inspiring and so heart-warming.  I am blessed to be part of it.

Thank you, Kim. Michelle is not only proud, she is smiling and cheering you, and all of us, on.

No comments:

Post a Comment